Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Transitions with a toddler

My son is now old enough, tall enough, and interested enough to help me wash dishes. Perhaps I should define help from a 15 month old.

He climbs onto the sturdy chair I have placed next to the sink, chooses a utensil and a dish at random, and proceeds to play in the water. Sometimes he bangs them together to make music. He plays in the spray of he water and sudsy foamy bubbles. More importantly, he gets to share my world.

Elbow to elbow, we work.

Occasionally, he hands me a dirty dish. And I smile and say 'thank you - what a good helper" and I proceed to scrub it. Sometimes he takes a newly washed and perfectly clean dish out of the drying rack and adds it to his collection of forks, spoons, pots, and pans that still have remnants of lunch on them. 'That's the point of this game, right Mom?' his innocent smile seems to say. I try not to get frustrated.

So when almost all the dishes are clean (some washed twice) and he has one lonely spoon and bowl left in the sink that he is tinkering with, I start drying the dishes.

While I'm working, I'm stalling for time. I am deliberately delaying the moment that I know is coming.

Because I am a chicken.

I look over at him and heave a long sigh. It's time. Like all good things, this too must end.

I gently say "this is the last dish to wash - we're all done", I scrub the dish, and announce hopefully "let's go play with the blocks." But he wants to stay and play with the water (for hours if I let him). And he's not budging.

"Let's go read a book." Nope.
"Let's go play with your toys." Not taking the bait.
"Let's go play with the ball." Who am I kidding?
"Say goodbye to the water. We're done. Bye-bye water." No.
Last ditch effort. "Help mommy put this bowl away in the cabinet." NOOOOOO!

He will not willingly leave the chair, the sink, and the 'fun'. Ugh.

I understand. He likes being busy. He likes working and contributing in his way. And he wants to stay and play with the water. I understand. I really do. Because I like being busy and contributing too. And I can't stand at the kitchen sink all day like a lifeguard. I have many more tasks to accomplish.

If I can just lure him away from the sink, I can do those activities. Lovingly and firmly, I take him off the chair and the crying starts. He flails around and I set him down. He collapses in a miserable heap on the floor.

Not working.

Poor little guy. It's rough when something we want to do, something we are in a good groove with, changes. Life is like that. Transitions happen. And how we learn to adapt to and allow transitions dictates our level of happiness or unhappiness.

My toddler son is learning to adapt. [I am too.] He is learning to enjoy what he has while he has it. When it is gone (and sometimes after a good cry) he finds a new endeavor. He sees the joy in another task, another event, another time.

I think about people who haven't learned to adapt to transitions. Life is so incredibly difficult for them. There are times that I balk at change too --- times when my stubborn ego digs its heels in.

Then, I hear my Divine self speaking: You are going to be okay --- adapt with the transition. Everything is happening in right timing and right order for your Divine evolution. It's part of the journey to have transitions and changes, some comfortable and some that stretch the comfort zone. My toddler son is developing perfectly and so am I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ