For many months now, my toddler son has exhibited word recognition in several ways.
He reacts to my verbal directives and responds with his own.
- Time to go outside. He collects his shoes and mine from the mat by the door, brings them to me, and says "shoosh".
- Would you like a banana? He goes to the fruit bowl, hands the banana to me for peeling, and says "baaa-na" excitedly.
- Grandma is going to be here soon. He stations himself at the window in anticipation looking for "Gaw-ma".
- Let's water the flowers. He makes a beeline for the watering can while repeating "flour-rs".
- Time to wash the dishes. He pulls a chair over to help with the "deeshes".
- Let's go brush teeth. He makes a brushing motion toward his mouth along with a brushing noise.
He is learning word recognition, visual recognition, and other cues. This got me thinking about how novice mediums also go through a similar learning stage to toddlers.
By paying attention, a medium begins to receive impressions and learn how spirit works with them. The way in which a beginning medium labels and notices impressions during spirit contact is similar to way a toddler labels and notices objects, people, and places.
Beginning mediumship can be as simple as stringing together impressions from Spirit, in much the same way that a toddler begins to string together words to create sentences. "Moon [in the] sky." "Truck [loads] dirt."
As a medium, I take note of Spirit's directives and pass along these impressions in order to convey the essence of a spirit loved one. For example, in a reading recently, I received the following impressions:
- man hooked up to oxygen
- flag - my symbol for military service
As you learn to understand the ways in which Spirit works with you, remember to honor the information being given to you and to enjoy exploring the world of Spirit the way a child explores the physical world.