Skip to main content

Trailblazers 1

When I first began my serious study of mediumship, I read about various old-time mediums and psychical research. These mediums were true pioneers. They blazed a trail through previously unknown and largely unacknowledged spiritual territory and have made it possible for mediums to be what they are today.

Their stories have been inspiring to me and remind me to never stop learning, never stop growing as a medium. And I hope they will inspire you to new spiritual heights as well. This series will be called ‘Trailblazers.’

So let us begin . . . this blog’s first featured Trailblazer: Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772)

Swedenborg was a well-respected Swedish scientist, astronomer, and engineer of international repute, who, at age 55 developed mediumistically and conversed daily and at great length with evolved spirits, had experiences with ectoplasm and did astral travel in the spirit realms.

He wrote several books describing his experiences, and explaining the philosophy taught to him by his spirit teachers. They gave much information regarding the spirit world and it's occupants, which was to be substantially confirmed by the later revelations of mediums.

Some of his mediumistic teachings include:

  • The Spirit world is in a number of concentric spheres, each with its own density and inhabitants.
  • Life in Spirit is similar to that on the Earth plane, with houses, churches, schools, etc. The process of death is aided by Angels (good spirits).
  • The process of ‘death’ does not change internal nature.
  • There is no such thing as eternal punishment. Those who find themselves in ‘darkness’ after death can work their way towards something higher.
  • Marriage is a form of spiritual union which is continued in the Spirit world (if both souls desire it).
  • Those who die old or diseased regain their youth and health in the Spirit world.

Although I don’t agree with all of Swedenborg’s philosophies, I feel that he had tremendous impact on the study and practice of mediumship. After all, he was the first to present a modern cosmological description of the various planes of spirit. Also, because of his social standing, integrity, and education, he was able to bring spirit teachings to a great number of people, especially during a time period when such teachings were unheard of.

Several writers were influenced by him --- including William Blake, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, William Blake, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, August Strindberg, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Charles Baudelaire, Balzac, Immanuel Kant, William Butler Yeats, Goethe, and Carl Jung. The theologian Henry James Sr was also a follower of his teachings, as were Johnny Appleseed and Helen Keller.


“I am well aware that many will say that no one can possibly speak with spirits and angels so long as he lives in the body; and many will say that it is all fancy, others that I relate such things in order to gain credence, and others will make other objections.” --- Emanuel Swedenborg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ