Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Sleep Smiles

My baby son is normally a good sleeper, make that a great sleeper. But last night, he was restless and kicking his blankets off and sputtering his I'm-tired-but-teething-hurts cry.

To a mommy, this is like receiving the Batman signal, so there I was 'Mommy to the Rescue'. I would hold him and nurse him into sweet dream oblivion. And just when I had saved the day [or night], he would wake again. Poor little one.

Like most of us when we are feeling fractious from pain, my son felt entitled to be comforted. And he was a fixture in my arms almost all night.

So there I was pulling Mom-duty, thinking about how I was grateful that he didn’t do this every night and thinking about how early humans dealt with their babies. After all, one ill-timed cry when a predator was nearby and goodbye next generation. Seriously, how did we as a species survive teething babies?

When I gingerly ease him back onto his bed and I remove my arms from him, he intuitively and instinctually knows this and objects. [Doesn’t he know that he’s giving away our location to the saber-toothed tiger just outside the cave?]

And the routine starts again. I comfort and hold him until he looks like he’s asleep again [finally]. As he nestles against me with his eyes closed and body half-limp, I am thinking about various things.

I eventually notice that when my thoughts are negative and self-pitying he frowns and squirms in his sleep. And when my thoughts are positive and understanding, he smiles. To test this, I alternate my positive and negative thoughts randomly and his expressions correctly correspond each time.

Wow! This is Spiritual Natural Law at work right before my eyes. There is a higher intelligence eavesdropping on my inner dialogue. The universe is paying attention to the quality of my thoughts and so is my sleeping [and supposedly unconscious] child.

And then I remember what I had recently explained to someone: As a mother I am connected to my child on a cellular level and especially on a soul level. His body and soul have developed and grown in harmony with my body and soul and we are vibrationally linked--- my light and his light unite.

This is another reason he sleeps best when he can feel the thrum of my heartbeat under his head and my breath softly kissing his head. He can reach his hand out and find me, find comfort. He knows this and reminds me that my job [and my joy] is to comfort him.

And in his sleep, he smiles. That little son of gun, he knows that I’ve figured it out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You know, I used to notice the same thing with my daughter when she was very young -- i remember that I could never meditate during her naps, because EVERYTIME i would get into that 'zen den' she would wake up -- even if it was 3am! [don't ask me why i am meditating at 3am] It was like my thoughts literally woke her up!

I always thought that was strange -- but it really makes sense that the psychic connection is still so close after birth....

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ