Skip to main content

Seeing history

Because I am teaching a class on Lily Dale History, for the past few months much of my time has been spent on the computer typing or with my nose in a history book. 

I have become obsessed with sifting through many tidbits of information relating to the creation of, maintenance of, and history of the special community I call home, Lily Dale.  I have been so immersed in my subject that I am living and breathing the history.  Like a good cup of tea, I have been steeped in it.  For with each new fact, I find myself looking at Lily Dale and the surrounding area with new eyes. 

As I drive home to Lily Dale on Glasgow Road, I see the space where the trees are not growing (the large swath cut between the trees next to the road that I thought were for power lines) and know now "that is where the train rumbled on its tracks toward Lily Dale, bringing people from far and wide to experience spiritual upliftment."

Turning the corner onto Dale Drive, I envision the train depot on the left where only trees and tall grasses stand now.  I clairvoyantly see its long platform big enough to accommodate eight traincars and its occupants.  And the boat launch transforms into the three story Iroquois Hotel brimming with life, dancing, and laughter.  As I cross the bridge over beautiful Cassadaga Lake, I see the old planks that were there for crossing to "the Island" where so many picnicked and enjoyed Alden's Willow Lake Grove before Lily Dale was officially established.

I pass through the current Lily Dale Assembly gate and see the "C.L.F.A" sign and the "City of Light" sign arch overhead.  And I enter into a world of bygone days, of Victorian men and women celebrating the pioneering spirit --- working with hands and bodies to clear the land and build houses, working with minds and souls to create a space for Spiritualism and spiritual learning.  They were paving the way for us, for mediumship, for spiritual healing.

As I slowly drive the streets to my house on North Street, the tall old trees of the Leolyn Woods whisper and I hear the voices of the past sharing their visions for the future and my heart lifts in glorious song to meet it - I am Home, in a place between the worlds and of the worlds. 

For those of you who are coming to class on Wednesday night, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the rich history of Lily Dale too!  May you be inspired and illuminated to share in the joy of this place!!

Comments

Willa said…
The Lily Dale History class was a success! We had a great group from the surrounding area. And a big thank you to Ron Nagy, current LD historian, for being on hand to answer our questions during our visit to the LD Museum.
Blessings, ~Willa

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ