Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Spiritual homework

Recently, my son (age 17 months) was sick for the first time in his life. He experienced a cold --- complete with runny nose, cough, low-grade fever, and more.

He was miserable! I could see he was overwhelmed by this new feeling we call 'a cold'. At times, he would look at me desperately as if to say, "Why am I feeling this way, Mommy? My nose won't stop snotting and my throat hurts and I can't breathe well. I'm hurting, I ache all over, and nothing feels right. Help me!!!"

Watching him suffer was absolutely horrible for me. He is normally a very healthy little boy. Before this, when he needed something (such as food, diaper, teething, attention, etc) I figured out how to meet his needs. But this cold was something else entirely. It pushed all my mother bear buttons and the desire to protect and nurture my cub was paramount.

I would wipe his red-raw nose (as gently as possible) and cuddle him close, encouraging him to relax and occasionally play. He nursed and napped frequently with spurts of energy, followed by painful lethargy and coughing. My poor little guy!

It was painful for me (the mommy) to watch him struggle and suffer. My heart would get tight in my chest and I would think "He's so little. Let me suffer for him."

And my soul would immediately respond, "This is part of his journey. You can't do someone else's spiritual homework for them."

This got me thinking about how we sometimes feel compelled to take on another person's journey. We must distinguish between lightening the load with the occasional helping hand AND doing it for them.

Especially if something keeps happening with them again and again, and you find yourself saying "I just fixed that for them!", consider that you are not the one who is supposed to 'fix it' for them.

Each person has spiritual lessons that they are here to experience and learn from. If they don't learn from the lesson (or someone tries to do it for them), the lesson is repeated until they have completed it. This is part of Spiritual Natural Law, especially the Law of Karma and the Law of Personal Responsibility.

Bottomline: You cannot take on someone else's lesson for them. You can love them and support them, but you can't do it for them. Allowing your loved ones to learn and experience is important for their soul growth.

That's a lesson that I was reminded of during my son's bout with his first cold. Perhaps it is a lesson for you too.

Comments

Stella said…
I truly hope the little one is doing better! It is so hard to watch those you love hurt!
Willa said…
Thanks Stella, he is back to his normal healthy self!
Cat said…
So glad to hear he is feeling better!
Unknown said…
Oh, how many times have I found myself being tested with a similar, if not identical situation that I probably should have handled differently on a previous occasion (even from several years ago).

What I try to do is envision myself back then performing in a way that years of experience have taught me to do today (not that I've learned everything!). Then, I attempt to correlate it with the present challenge and hope I've done enough to settle that particular karmic debt!

Bob

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ