Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Pray

Every school day, I bundle my two children and walk/drive/run to the school bus stop in order to get my kindergartner to school.  Sometimes we are hurrying to the meet the bus.  Yesterday morning was such a morning...

After some delay, we arrive - whew!  While I chat with another mother, my son is playing in the snow.  He didn't want to put his gloves on at home and now he hands are freezing.  We put he gloves on, but they are still cold.  He bursts into tears just as the bus pulls up.  "I don't want to gooooooo!" he wails and refuses to get on the bus.

A very human part of me wants to yell, "get on the bus!  It took us a lot of effort to get ready and get here in time. The roads are snowy and icy, I need to nurse the baby, and I don't want to drive you to school." 

But I refrain from such a speech of monster proportions, and instead I say "let's talk about it in the car", and bustle him back into the heated vehicle.

"I don't want to go to school," he sniffles.  "Why? What's going on?" I ask.

"I want to play at home.  My friends knocked my building of blocks down.  We had a substitute [teacher] yesterday.  And my hands are cold," he explains.

So we discuss each issue in turn.  We resolve them and then he says he feels sick.  I asked him, "where?"  "In the middle of me," he replies.  All of the sudden I get a flash of inspiration.  "Is this physical or spiritual?"  He responds, "Both."  I ask him if he wants to pray about it.  He says "yes", so we pray.  When we are done praying, he feels better and he hands are warm. 

"What do you want to do now?" I ask.

"I want to go to school," he says resolutely.  Okay, I say.  I have just enough time to get him to the school before he's considered tardy.

During the drive, I ask him: "When you are school, if you feel overwhelmed what are you going to do?"  I thought he would tell me he would speak with his teacher or use his words to talk.  After all, we had discussed those as solutions.

"Pray.  I am going to pray," he responds definitively.

I am blown away.  We talked about solutions, but it was the activity of prayer that altered the energy for him.

Prayer is powerful.  Never forget the important role of prayer in your life and in the lives of others.  By reaffirming our connection with the Divine, we set our fears, doubts, and issues aside as well as place our faith and trust in God's hands.  As is well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ