Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Fort-building 101

Well, perhaps I should say "Housebuilding". 

My little guy likes to build little houses inside our house.  His preferred building material:  throw pillows and cushions.  Like an industrious beaver, he searches the house for pillows, carrying them back to his selected location with glee. 

He usually chooses a space that is already somewhat enclosed, such as between two pieces of furniture along a wall.  Then, he uses the pillows to fill in the gaps to make a front barrier, reminiscent of a retaining wall of sandbags set vertically.  Sometimes he props the pillows up to make a roof or lays a blanket on top to create a tent effect.

Creating the space and being in the space are so enjoyable to him that he can play for long periods of time.  Sometimes he is an animal in his den and he playacts various scenarios.  It is so cute to overhear his chatter and to see his imagination at work.

Invariably, a pillow shifts or falls out of position.  Or the roof caves in.  He does his best to shore it up and sometimes has to ask for help with the repairs.

Many times, I have encouraged him to build his "houses" with other materials or in easier locations. I even pointed out the parallel between him building a house out of pillows and the efforts of the three little pigs. To my mind, pillow houses are much less durable than straw and stick houses - and we know how that worked out, the wolf was able to blow those houses down. When you walk by a pillow house or let's say breathe, there goes a pillow falling down. "Try this cardboard box," I urge him. But while he appreciates the location suggestions, he will not be swayed from using the pillows. "No thank you," he replies. "I like the pillows."

In fact, one day he noticed the throw pillows on the chairs in my reading room.  My reading room is off-limits and I typically keep the door shut at all times, but as I was retrieving something he came in.  He began to carry off my pillows without so much as a by-your-leave!  [It would seem that his building and nesting instincts are as strong a bird's.]  I gently stopped his pillaging and reminded him that this room and its contents were off-limits.  His disappointment was papable. But as quick as a flit of wings, he was off to construct another homebuilding project with his usual array of pillow materials.

As I watch him build yet another cushiony dwelling, I reminded of how often other people put their energy toward to a project that we rationally know is not built on a secure foundation or with durable materials.  And we shake our heads. 

Years ago, during a charity mission to hurricane-affected Yucatan, I stayed at a clinic in a Mayan village where many of the Mayans lived in thatched huts and I learned about how they deal with the regularity of storms.  A hurricane sweeps through and their thatched hut is either gone or the worse for wear, so they rebuild.  However because of their culture and religious beliefs they cannot replace the palm tree leaves until after the fronds have been collected in a special way and laid out under the full moon.  This causes a substantial delay in their home repair.  They obviously have a good sense of honoring impermenance and acceptance of it.

For my son (and others), the process of construction is a joy.  Constant renewal and design improvement are not seen as insurmountable challenges, but rather opportunities to explore. What do you choose?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ