Skip to main content

The importance of parks for quality of life

Today's post is about parks --- city parks, state parks, national parks --- well it's really about the importance of parks.

Research verifies what we intuitively know about the value of parks and related open spaces: parks reduce energy use and storm water runoff, parks increase the value of neighboring property (The National Homebuilders Association claims that park and recreation areas may enhance the value of land up to 20%), and parks improve academic performance among children and teens.

In addition, studies have also shown that crime is lower in the neighborhoods where parks exist and visits to hospitals and emergency rooms are reduced when kids are given a safe alternative to playing in streets and parking lots. The availability of recreation opportunities and park amenities is also an important quality-of-life factor for businesses choosing where to locate and for individuals choosing a place to live.

All of the above are very viable reasons for having, utilizing, and maintaining parks. But let's really bring this point home in terms of spiritual needs.

When I think of the physical, emotional, and spiritual ramifications for just myself alone if I didn't have a park or green space to go to.... wow, that's huge. I use nature to reset myself spiritually, to clear energy, and to attune more fully with the Divine. Other people need (dare I say crave) this too. They may not use those words exactly but that's what is happening. Having a green space to visit is crucial.

Case in point: Summerlike weather with its sunny 80 degrees has finally arrived, so my husband and I decided take our son to one of the nearby city parks. We packed up food for a picnic and headed toward Lake Erie. One of my favorite local parks has a sandy beach, playgrounds, lots of green grass to run and play on, and plenty of picnic pavilions. It's also a great spot for sunsets.

As soon as we arrived, we set up at a picnic table and my son dashed over to the nearby playground slides. Food has little appeal when up against the fun of slides and teetertotters.

It was a Tuesday evening and I was surprised at the number of groups and families there --other people obviously had the same great idea. They were grilling out and relaxing with their folks in the warmth of the day.

And I (of course) was people-watching.

Children would go swimming in the lake, run over to the picnic tables for food, and then skip over to the swings, slides, and climbing equipment. Thankfully, the kids graciously made way for my curious and adventurous toddler son.

Little girls and boys in bright neon bathingsuits and the beginnings of sunburns grinned from ear to ear with wet watermelon smiles. Ah, to be six years old again...

The parents were also relaxed. And I am happy to report that I observed parents being really good parents - they were kind to their children, pushing them on swings, cooing over the babies, and patiently helping their toddlers negotiate the play equipment.

There was a free and easy feeling in the air.

Occasionally, guys in muscle cars and on motorcycles would drive past slowly. "Mustang, GTO, Harley," my husband would comment in recognition as the vehicles enjoyed a meadering cruise along the lake road view.

My favorite thing to watch was my family, especially my son's squeal of delight, ready smile, and his blond hair curling in the humidity. A close second favorite was my husband's actions - his athleticism as he played next to our son, the time when he assisted four little girls play safely on the teetertotters, and his tenderness toward me and our boy.

At sunset (an amazing display of color, sky, and water), the waters gentled into a mirror-like surface. A middle-aged woman was walking arm-in-arm on the beach with her elderly mother. A young couple was snuggling on a beach-weathered log of a tree. And a man and woman were kayaking along the shoreline.

My husband and I were perched on another driftwood log, alternating between glimpses at the sky display and our son playing with sticks in the sand. We smiled at each other as we told our son about the sun going to bed. Just then, our little guy looked behind us and pointed as he said, "Mooooon". And just like that, the day was over, like the end of a concert or movie - and we padded through the sand to the car and headed home.

It seemed like everyone brought the best of the themselves to the park that day. Maybe it's the glow of my own childhood memories that make this day sparkle. Regardless, I feel that having a place to go like this park is important, vastly important to the growth of people's souls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ