Skip to main content

When songs get stuck

In my last blogpost Falling Off the Ice Cream Wagon, I asked you:

"Have you ever heard a song and the tune gets stuck in your head all day? The lyrics roll over and over until you burst out into song, sometimes passing the problem onto family and friends."

Supposedly 98% of people have experienced this and it is an actual phenomenon that has been studied at length by scientists, psychologists, and those who market products with those catchy jingles. Some terms used to define, explain, and understand this phenomenon are:
  • Earworm
  • Haunting melody
  • Involuntary musical imagery
  • Repetune
  • Aneurhythm
  • Humbug
  • Stuck song syndrome
  • Melodymania
Well, whatever you want to call it --- I guess I invoked it in full force with the ice cream blog because it happened. Story time...

My husband was attempting to spoonfeed our baby son. I say 'attempting' because our little guy was squirming and craning his head around to see me working away in the kitchen. "Come on, turn around," my husband urged him. I smiled and added my own encouragement, "Turn around, bright eyes." We broke out into song and continued to have it chant in our heads to burst forth at various hilarious moments. Thus began day-long stint of a 'song' taking over our family life. At home, in the car, on our walk, in our phone calls, virtually everywhere.

It finally culminated in my entering the Hallmark card shop in search of three greeting cards: a just-because-I-love-you card for my hubby and two birthday cards for family members. And what should asail my ears? THE SONG!!!!!

I immediately called my husband and all I had to ask him was, "Guess what song I'm listening to right now in the store?"

You may noticed that I have not told you what song got stuck in our heads. This is deliberate. I am trying to prevent what I shall term "song contagion".

However, to make this fun (especially for those who always wanted to call into the radio station with their answer but chickened), you may submit your guess in the comment section of this blogpost. And/or share your own experience with getting a song stuck in your head.

I can't wait to hear your responses! *smile*

Comments

Nina said…
I’m still humming the ice cream truck tune!! J I’ll have a nutty buddy please….

I do believe there’s something meditative about the Oscar Meyer song, (Oh I wish I were a…) or the Mickey D’s “two all beef patties…“ J … There are times I just whistle or hum at work for no reason… it makes me smile and well… if anyone catches me… I usually catch them latter on humming the same tune….

I guess you can say happiness is contagious. I can hear the pitch pipe now, a one, and a two… “Turn around Bright eyes!….”

Love and Light and a song…. Nina P.
Anonymous said…
I think the song you may have got stuck in your head was:"total eclipse of the heart, by bonnie tyler.

Sincerely,
Susan A
Anonymous said…
I hear music playing constantly in my head daily.. song changes once in awhile, but usually sets the tone for how my day is going to fair. It's rather odd to me- but I've gotten used to it and just 'got with it'.

The 'bright eyes' song you speak of hits very close to home for me as well as it's the first song the man in my life sung at karaoke on our first date. But yes.. Total Eclipse of the Heart is a fantastic melody :)

Yours Truely,
Sarah
whitenblue@gmail.com
Lori K said…
Hello Willa, I love the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart", thank goodness, because it will be stuck in my head now. haha. I prefer the term "humbug", very cute. I have an appointment with you next month in Lilydale and look forward to meeting you.

Until then,
Lori K
cheatymoon said…
Hey - Nina P. is here. (Which is cool because she follows my blog and I did not get here from there... at all).
Anyway, I tell the story of my son going to sleep away for the first time. The whole time he was gone, I had a(n annoying) pop song stuck in my head. Not a song I would listen to, ever.
When I picked him up, he begged for his iPod to plug in because, as he described, the only music he heard for the entire two weeks was a compilation that featured this annoying pop song that had been stuck in my head.
Great validation for me.
The song remains annoying.
Oh, and that's Total Eclipse of the Heart.
Erin
Willa said…
You are all correct! And thank you for your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ