Skip to main content

Lessons from a Child: Becoming a Master of Distraction

Because my little guy is crawling and getting into everything at the Speed of Baby, I have used the word NO repetitively.


No, don't touch that.
No, don't eat that.
No, don't pull Mommy's hair.
No, stop squirming while I am dressing you.
No, don't empty the box of spaghetti onto the floor.
No, don't balance precariously on top of pillows while tugging at the lampshade.
No, NO, nooooooooo!


I realize that the word "no" is important for him to hear sometimes, however, I don't want to overuse the word. (Phrases such as "not for baby", "yucky", and "drop it" also equate to NO and can be overused as well.) And more importantly, I do not want to stunt his natural exploratory urge to investigate this amazing world.

Therefore, in my effort to be a good parent, I am trying to come up with creative (preferrably nonverbal) ways to refocus his attention on an approved object or activity. As an added challenge, I am trying to handle the situation in such a way that he does not cry.


I am becoming a Master of Distraction.


When he is about to taste or touch something he shouldn't, I must use my persuasive Mommy powers to refocus him. As he heads toward peril, I have to pull out of my bag 0f distractions something wonderful and fascinating, such as:
  • using slight of hand to surreptitiously remove a dangerous object and replace it with a baby friendly toy
  • singing a song and making it up as I go along
  • picking him up, up, and away into birdflight, propelling him away frompower cords, computers, plants, open doors, etc.
  • quickly removing a book from his clutches and sharp teeth by flapping the pages like the wings a bird

As his mother and his entertainment, I must be ready to summon up my newly acquired distraction skills at a moment's notice. Plenty of times I have been rewarded with his smile of sunshine, his giggle of delight, or he hug of gratitude. And I try not to become disheartened if I have to say "no" because I am after all a Master of Distraction-in-Training.

As I learn to become a Master of Distraction with my child, I am reminded that I should use this same method on myself. More often than I care to admit I focus on worries, fears, and doubts. They peck at me, robbing me of joy and the sweet blessing of the moment. Then, someone or something helps me change my focus. A distraction occurs. I am relieved of my painful thoughts and I am once more allowing myself to feel the colours, tastes, and smells of the moment.

Some distractions are good and healthy such as the sky at sunset, a glass of refreshing water, a person's smile, and a song on the radio that gets you singing along. On the flip side, I certainly understand that we each are here to experience our life, that we should face what life brings, and that we can't live permanently in a world of distractions, especially ones that encourage unhealthy behaviors, such as excessive TV watching, consuming a whole batch of cookies, complaining bitterly, and becoming a zombie to your friends and family.

Occasionally when we are told NO by the people we love, the people we work with, and others, we feel lack. We feel out of harmony with the Law of Abundance. And sometimes we feel that something we want in our work, relationship, family, etc is yanked dramatically away and we cry out in perceived pain of separation (like a child who has their perceived toy of the moment taken away). We feel pain on deep levels until we focus on the good of the moment.

Perhaps we can learn from our children and recover quickly from pain. Perhaps we can release from the expectation of a certain outcome. Perhaps we can allow the good distractions to help us through the moment until we find peace, joy, and acceptance again. Perhaps we can find better ways to express NO to others. Perhaps we can become Masters of Distraction in our own lives and train ourselves that the next time we are told NO or we say NO to look for the distraction and to witness with childlike glee the enchantment of life.

Life has a way of meandering us through swamps, up hills, and through valleys --- enjoy the view.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ