Skip to main content

Weather prediction

My husband and I were out and about running errands through a good portion of a 20 mile radius of our home this morning. Weather was the hot topic of the day.

All morning, most people we encountered were talking about the Big Storm that would be passing through today. "It's going to be a biggie," many warned. "60 mile per hour winds," others said in awed tones. Everywhere we went people were preparing for the Big Storm. And the weather reports on the radio were full of wind and flood advisories.

My husband and I looked at the sky and felt safe. It had rained at our house earlier (and it was a good soak) and the wind was the normal blustery blow of autumn. [Our area gets a wonderful show of all four seasons (from the deep snows of winter to the lush and green summertime), and our autumn usually means some wind and rain on trees changing into vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows highlighted by beautiful moments of sunshine.] But the weather anywhere can be fickle at times.

As we journeyed, the clouds were hovering gray above us and the wind was picking up. At one of our stops, a friend glued to the TV weather channel rushed out of the house to tell us, "the storm is coming in 30 minutes. The sky is going to open up with rain. You better hurry." Again, my husband and I looked up at the sky and felt safe.

At the tail end of our errands, rain began to sputter hesitantly in sharp staccato on the windshield. "Is this the Big Storm?" we asked ourselves. "Should we rush home to avoid potential damage and destruction?" We were puzzled about what all the fuss was about and frankly very underwhelmed. Just as we were discussing faulty weather prediction, the clouds cleared and the sun shone radiantly upon us, confirming our faith.

Throughout the remainder of the day, the wind blustered now and again mildly. And in between the occasional splatter of raindrops, I thought about various forms of weather predication/divination that I have read about:

  • Aeromancy - Divination using the formation of clouds and other patterns in the skies and predicting events by wind direction - ie. "Red skies at night, sailors delight. Red skies in the morning sailors take warning" indicates that clouds in the morning could herald a storm's arrival.
  • Alectromancy - Forecasting the future through atmospheric or celestial conditions - ie. "Starlight, star bright, first star I see tonight" as many people recite when wishing on a falling star is a form of alectromancy.
  • Austromancy - Divination by listening to the sound of the wind and interpreting the messages - ie. William Arthur Ward interpreted the wind thusly, "A pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." Some folks use austromancy when holding a shell to the ear and listening to the windy whoosh of waves crash on the shore.

I have no real personal experience or success with these forms of divination, but they are certainly interesting to contemplate. Given our fascination with weather prediction and weather reports as a species, we have yet to find a scientific tool or scientific method to accurately and exactly predict the weather. Could divination be the method?

Other than standing outside in the sun and/or precipitation to get the current weather and temperature, the only prognosticating tool that I know that works is listening clearly to our own souls. When the peanut gallery offers their opinion (and sometimes fear), ask yourself what the truth is. Practice the presence of God if you must, but listen to your inner guide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ