Skip to main content

Setting boundaries for spirit contact

Q: Hi, Willa. Thank you very much for the reading recently. It was very comforting. I'm enjoying the blog and have a question that I think is of general interest. I wonder whether mediums, such as you, are bombarded by your sixth sense receptors when you go about the day-to-day business of life--passing people on the sidewalk, or in the grocery store, or at the drycleaners, etc. Also, if you watch those stirring documentaries on television that make us all cry, do your psychic senses become involved or can you disconnect from emotionally charged situations? I guess I'm asking how a medium protects herself when she wants to turn the answer machine off for a while or maybe: So, how is life on this plane for a medium? Do you ever get any peace and quiet?

A: Yes, I cry while watching movies and I find it especially difficult to watch the news or other kinds of drama trauma. I have learned to set limits on tv watching and exposure to that kind of thing. And while I sometimes strongly empathize with people I pass on the sidewalk, I have learned to keep my aura and intention strong.

Early on in my mediumship development, I learned that I had to set boundaries for spirit communication and intuitive information. In order to not be bombarded by the energies of other people (spirit or those here on earth plane), I had to set healthy limits. Therefore, I informed my spirit guides and helpers that I would be open to receive spirit communication for clients at the following times:
  • during mediumship readings
  • during public messagework (ie. church services or Lily Dale message services)
  • during development circles and workshops
Notice that these occasions for spirit communication are for clients and students who have arranged time with me for that purpose. Ethical mediumship is very important. And I feel strongly about not crossing other people's boundaries by going up to strangers in the grocery store or other places to inflict impressions on them.

And just like any other job or profession out there, a medium needs to take breaks and needs down-time from working. Spending time with family, friends, and in peaceful solitude (without work interruptions) is important for a balanced life. In fact, my family and friends are good at helping me to remember that I am human --- a spiritual being experiencing a human existence.

Self-awareness and commitment to personal growth are essential in the study and practice of mediumship so early on in my development, in addition to the occasions I mentioned above, I also told spirit that I would be open to receive spirit communication and intuitive information for myself at the following times:
  • during meditation
  • during dreamtime
  • during times of great personal or family need
To maintain a good balance in my life, I have found it is extremely important to set these boundaries and keep them. I have noticed another benefit --- when I do have spirit contact it occurs in very concentrated form with good direct communication. I encourage you to set your own healthy boundaries with your spirit loved ones and the other people in your life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you, Willa, for taking the time to satisfy my curiousity. Very insightful :)
Sandra
Momo Manalang said…
This was truly helpful! I found out that I was gifted as well and I am beginning to feel things that are not physically there.. And like you, sometimes I do forget that I am human. I knew all my life that I was here for the purpose of serving those higher than my being, but I never knew what it was. At this moment, I feel truly blessed that I've found out. I can do many good things with what I have and it's amazing. I'm still in the process of developing my ability and I've tried techniques that switch my third eye on and off. My friend like to compare it to puberty as I am not so used to it yet, but one day I will overcome it. It's frightening, but exhilarating. Thank you for this post. It was a great help! (:

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Will our session be a conversation with spirit loved ones?

Q: What happens during a mediumship reading? Will it be a conversation between me and my spirit loved ones? A: Each reading is unique, so I never know what to expect during a reading. As a medium, I open myself with the highest and best intention to receive information from your spirit loved ones. Once we establish contact with a spirit loved one and have established their identity, we can engage them in conversation and ask them questions. Many times, a reading is an opportunity to chat with your family and extended family and maybe a few of your closest friends. It can be a special time for reunion and a sharing of memories. It can be a chance to say "hello" or "I'll see you again" or "I love you". Perhaps it will be a time for making amends and apologies. Or it can be an opportunity for closure and explanation. Or it can a time to receive guidance and opinions from those you trust in Spirit. Or it can be a confirmation of your own experiences with s

Flashes of light

I am a medium , so I 'see' things. *smile* Well, every now and then, I see a small light. (And I don't mean an orb or a light flying around the room like Tinkerbell.) I am talking about a small pinprick of light that remains stationary and lasts for 2-3 seconds. It resembles a star from the night sky, albeit a very miniature one. This little 'flash of light' is a spirit. Sometimes I see a 'flash of light' (or a miniature star) around clients during readings --- either near the client's chair or in another part of the room. Also, I remember seeing them in a museum, on the trail in the woods, here at home, and at church. When I see that pinprick of light, I focus on asking the spirit to provide me with more information and to share their essence . Much like seeing spirit in side vision , it's a way that we can perceive those in spirit. These flashes of light are just another way for spirit loved ones to communicate that they are with us. In fact, some

Timeframe for spirit contact

Q: My mom just died unexpectedly last week. Is it too soon for me to try to make contact with her through you? I vaguely remember someone telling me that they're not "available" right after they pass? Is there a general timeframe? Please let me know. Thank you. A: There is no official wait time before establishing communication with a spirit loved one. I have noticed some spirits are ready to communicate immediately and other spirits take longer. Some mediums suggest a six month time period. I feel this is a good timeframe for many clients because by then they have processed some of their grief and are not in a desperate space. There is a difference between being ready and being needy. It just depends on the client and the spirit. Trust your own soul regarding this. When you are ready, you just know. What a blessing it is that you know you will connect with your mother's spirit in divine right timing and that love never dies. If you have a general question whose answ